Fear and anxiety around death

This is quite the heavy topic for my first post apologies but it’s something very real in our house just now….

We recently lost a family member and my son was naturally really upset. After processing it and seeming to come to terms with it, he’s now extremely anxious about death and keeps asking if I’m going to die. I’ve been honest but tried to keep it age appropriate and just said that we do all die one day but hopefully when we are very, very old. This hasn’t seemed to have helped??

Does anyone have any ideas or is this just something we have to ride out? Thank you!

1 Like

Firstly, we are so sorry for your loss. Hope you are doing as ok as you can at this time and finding some space to look after yourself, as well as your son.

That sounds like a very age appropriate and factual statement and aligns with what a lot of the grief charities state. As much as it is a cliche, it really could just be that it takes time to process. Keep the conversation open with your son and do let us know how you both are getting on. Sending you a big hug :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Sending you much love @Mumof1 sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you are ok. Our oldest asked me if I was going to die. We’d lost a few people close to us within a year or so. It was the most upsetting thing to hear her say. Your response to your son sounds really sensitive and a good one. I’m not sure anything you say is going to make these really big feelings and deep thoughts he is having go away right away. It is good he is voicing them to you though. It sounds like you have a really good relationship. I’m sure you will know if it gets to the point where you should seek more help. For now you sound like you are handling it very well. Maybe others will have a view or experience too. Sending you love :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart:

1 Like

So sorry for your loss @Mumof1, that sounds so tough but just wanted to echo what @Mumof2 said - it sounds like you are handling it beautifully so well done. That’s not easy at all. Sending you lots of love and strength :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone, I truly appreciate the validation. It’s so hard to know if I’m doing the right thing with big topics like this.

3 Likes

Sending you a big hug @Mumof1 , you’re doing a great job :yellow_heart:

2 Likes