Need to reduce the number of bedtime stories asap!

I have 5 year old twins and one is fine going to bed and super independent but the other one wants me to read endless number of stories every night until he falls asleep. This is taking longer and longer nowadays ie more than an hour and it’s exhausting. How can I change this? It’s driving me mad :sob:

1 Like

Urgh this is frustrating - I don’t have the answer I’m afraid as bedtime isn’t one of my strong points either but I’m sure someone here will help! Sending you a hug in the meantime :heart:

1 Like

Hi, that is pretty frustrating. If they are in separate bedrooms, then you could try telling them beforehand that you are busy and will have things to do, and set a clock/timer, and when the alarm goes off, quietly but firmly leave the room. This does require you to be able to withstand the ensuing protest, as long as your child stays in their bedroom (and you can gently return them if they come out, remaining silent all the time) then they will eventually settle down. Then reduce the time by 5 minutes each night.

If they are in the same room, I guess the worry is that the one who wants to continue be read to will wake up the other one when you withdraw. In this case you can use the strategy above, but add to it a reward chart for staying quiet when the time is up. They can help create the chart and be allowed to draw in attractive sketches of a child with lots of Zs when they do well, and after say 3 nights of compliance get something nice that they want.

Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

This is just what I needed to hear. Thank you @Prof_Stephen_Scott. You’ve given me some clear action points and luckily the boys are in separate rooms so I’ll be able to manage one whilst my husband puts the other one to bed, given one definitely doesn’t protest as much as the other! I’ll let you know how it goes, thanks again.

1 Like