Screen time....how much is too much?

How does everyone feel about screen time? Does anyone have any experience in setting and maintaining boundaries on screen time for an 8 year old? She is really pushing back on it but I don’t think the amount she is on screens is good for her.

Hi @sunshine84, this is definitely a tricky one and we know lots of parents struggle to navigate setting boundaries for screen time. Have you seen our blog on this? It may help you start to implement some boundaries - let us know how you get on.

Community Manager

1 Like

Oh wow that blog is really helpful - not sure why I hadn’t noticed that on the website before!! Thanks for sharing. There are some great tips in there and I’ve already implemented a few eg setting the rules for what is ok during the week and then what is ok during the weekend. Am also being really conscious about my phone use in front of her and really focusing on the positive praise when she puts her phone down when I ask for example. Will keep you updated!

sunshine84 I’m so pleased that you found the screen time blog helpful. It’s great that you are implementing some of the tips such as setting rules for screen usage during the week and weekend, being aware of your screen usage in front of her and using lots of praise. - well done! I too find this blog really helpful in managing my teen’s screen time. Along with being conscious of modelling healthy screen usage, as you are, I am also trying to increase my quality time with her. We have regular games nights at home, playing cards or board games, and I try to make sure we go for a walk, bake or cook together as often when we can too. I think it’s making a difference. Keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Just seen this new article My child is refusing to turn off their screen. What can I do? – Parenting Matters

What consequences have others used successfully if their child doesn’t get off their screen after a few warnings and counting to 10?

:pray:

1 Like

That’s a great article, thanks for sharing the link.

If my son doesn’t listen to the warnings etc then I just turn off the wifi / tv plug and that’s it for the rest of the day. I’m very clear in my warnings that that’s what will happen, so it’s not a surprise but importantly, I follow it through. Even though it does cause a meltdown.

2 Likes

This might be a controversial opinion but I would be lost without the tv. As a single parent working full time, I need the tv at the end of the day to help with a bit of rest time otherwise my son is just on the go constantly and it’s impossible to have the energy for everything. I used to have immense guilt over it but now I see it for what it is - a helping hand to stop me collapsing with exhaustion!!! To be fair, he won’t sit and watch it endlessly but it gets me about 30-45 mins before the bedtime routine starts and it helps me massively.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Was thinking about saying half the screen time the next day. But maybe this is more immediate and simple! I will try. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hey @singlemumof1 hope you’re ok. So good to hear that. Me too! I stick ours in front of a movie to give myself time when I need it. I don’t see anything wrong with that at all. I do know other parents who are much stricter with screentime. But we all have to do what feels right for us don’t we? For us as well as for our kids. Sending you love x

2 Likes

Thanks lovely. That definitely helps to know it’s not just me!!!

2 Likes