Sibling rivalry

Does anyone have any advice please on sibling rivalry? Our two daughters are 6 and 4 and at times they get on fine, but I really struggle when they fight with each other. I just don’t handle it very well. I find it difficult to stay calm myself. Get really triggered by them arguing with each other. I just want it to stop! I often end up joining in the yelling. What strategies do others use that helps their children be kinder to each other? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

1 Like

Hi @Mumof2. Sorry to hear you’re finding this so hard. Is there anything specific that they fight about? Any common situations that might help you work it out? Or even avoid it. I also wondered if you have 1:1 time with each of them - I know our children really value spending short periods of time with me individually. Not sure if that helps or not? Good luck x

2 Likes

Sibling rivalry is really tough. One of our founders, Dr Clare Bailey, wrote an article about this lately: [How to help your kids get along better – Parenting Matters]

Hopefully there are some useful points in there for you. Let us know how you get on :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Wow this is nicely timed, a very insightful read that I needed today given all the fighting that was happening in my house tonight! Will implement some of the recommendations this weekend and report back!

2 Likes

Thanks @Community_Manager that’s incredibly helpful. Gosh I’m making so many mistakes. I always wade in and ask them why they’re fighting and then am surprised when it makes it worse! It’s hard not to though. I can only leave it for so long and then I tend to explode. Maybe I need to wade in sooner but more calmly. I’m going to have a think and try to notice common situations they fight over to see I can avoid any of them, thank you @StressedMum. Interested to know how you go @LondonParent. Hope something works for you too :blush:

1 Like

@Mumof2 dont beat yourself up, I do exactly the same. That article is great so that’s my focus for the week - implement the learnings as I keep getting distracted and being reactive all the time which doesn’t help anyone :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Thanks @LondonParent. good to know I’m not the only one! Hope your weekend is a good one x

2 Likes