The power of praise in building positive relationships

What has been the most successful phrase or comment when praising your child?

We would love to hear what is working for you…comment below!

My son beams when I say “wow, it looks like you worked really hard on that” when he shows me a picture or lego creation. It’s the cutest and has such a positive impact!

2 Likes

Love this @singlemumof1 :yellow_heart:

1 Like

“Excellent listening” or “thanks for getting ready so well this morning” are my usuals. This is one of the most valuable points in the course so far for me as it’s such a simple point but actually, in the moment, it can be easy to forget to praise the simple things.

1 Like

With 3 children, “thank you for using quiet voices” is a fave of mine :rofl: This is something I’m trying really hard with - focusing my attention on when they’re playing nicely together or helping out in the house and then really acknowledging it with them. I can definitely see the positive impact.

2 Likes

These are all amazing praise statements!
What is great about them is that you are all clearly focusing on the positive behaviour you want to see more of – “Thank you for using quiet voices” is so much better than, “Thank you for not shouting!”
Well done all – keep up the great work!

4 Likes

These are some great phrases, thanks so much for sharing. This is very much something I’m working on so I’ll be putting these phrases into practice in my home :hugs:

3 Likes

Great to hear @Mumof1 , let us know how it goes!

1 Like

It’s going well!! Who knew that a small tweak like that would make such a difference, particularly in the mornings when getting ready to go to school/work. Thanks all for the reminder to get on top of this :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Love this @Mumof1

Let’s keep checking in with each other with our successful phrases - the more we learn the better!!

One that worked well for me at the weekend was “wow, thanks so much for tidying up with me, that’s super helpful.” Actually sounds ridiculous when you write it down but just taking that one minute to notice what they’ve done and thank them (when tidying has definitely been a sticking point for us in the past!!) really has a positive impact.

2 Likes